Thursday, June 19, 2014

Corinthians 3 Thursday: Mission IS Possible

I'm about to be blatantly honest here. Are you ready?

I'm getting tired of writing these Corinthians 3 Thursday posts.

There, I said it.

They're not really fun posts for me to write. There's not even some big revelation about myself or "lesson learned" moment.

We're just plodding along through the coaching process, trying to plan out where we want to go.

And that's precisely why this is important. If I hadn't committed to writing these posts each Thursday, then I probably wouldn't be going through the process at all.

It actually took me a bit to come by that little tidbit of divine revelation. I was thinking to myself yesterday, "I don't even want to write that stupid post. No one reads them or really participates anyway. With The Art of Marriage conference coming up this weekend, I have a lot of other stuff I could be doing. I don't really have the time to waste."

AHA...there's the kicker. I prayed and prayed and prayed about these posts, and while I have to say the public response has been...um...underwhelming, this blog ISN'T Seeking the Symphony yet. It isn't the ministry's blog yet. It's still Alissa's Life Under Construction, and what that means is that He's still working on me. (Obviously, He'll still be working on me after the transition as well, but that won't really be the total point of the blog.)

I need to go through this process because I need to go through it. If not one other person reads this or follows the steps, having a dedicated day to pursue this journey holds me accountable and keeps me on task.

However, if you ARE reading this, then maybe God wants you to take some time to do some assessment, too. Just sayin'....

Now, for the meat of today's post: what is my mission?

Last week we talked about God's vision for our lives. As a refresher, mine was "I want to share God-given words that will change people’s hearts, draw them closer to Him, and give Him glory!"


To know your mission, you must have a vision because the mission is simply how to get there. In other words, the vision is the destination, and the mission is the road map.

There is a chapter in Christian Coaching, by Gary Collins, on "Moving with a Mission," but I'm going to veer a little from that because...um...I don't like the way he wrote it. 

Haha...look at that...Alissa questioning the expert.

Here's the deal, it's a FANTASTIC book, and I highly recommend it, but this one section didn't really do it for me. It was about writing a Mission Statement, and while that's all well and good, it came out really close to the vision statement, and therefore, is kind of redundant.

So, here's what I say...take your vision, and then figure out specifically, using action words, what you need to do to get there.

Make sure you pray first. Always pray first...hard.

Note: these are not goals. Think of the mission statement as an intermediary between your vision and your goals. Does that make sense?I hope so because I don't really know how else to put it. 

Let's take a look at mine so you can see what I mean.

In my vision statement I talk about sharing God-words, but what does that look like practically? What do I need to do to share those words? This is what I've come up with:
I will share the words God puts on my heart by dedicating myself to regularly posting on my blog, becoming a published author, and speaking to groups of people at events or seminars.
Now, please notice, those are not goals. We'll talk about goal-setting next week, but as a preview, goals detail steps that are specific and have a time frame assigned to them. For example, I might set a goal of writing blog posts at least three times per week. But as I said, we'll talk more about that next week.

So, what does your mission look like? Where is God taking you on your journey?

I'll leave you today with some words by Laurie Beth Jones from Jesus, Life Coach (but I'm reading them in Christian Coaching):
People with clearly defined missions have always led those who haven't any. You are either living your mission, or you are living someone else's.
Man...how powerful is that?

It's your turn! Please comment or link below! And feel free to grab my button on the right, too!







No comments:

Post a Comment