Tuesday, June 3, 2014

God's Holy Tether

He stands there alone, eyes fixed forward and chest high. I'm sure he's praying. How could he not be?

Praying for all of us. 
Praying for the people who were touched by the Spirit, but are unwilling to move. 
Praying for those who the sermon should have touched, but didn't because their hearts are hard and their ears clamped shut.

He had just delivered a powerful sermon, the gospel made personal to each of us. I felt sure it would stir many to tears and revive hearts and spirits, convict and cleanse. But now, as he stood there during the public invitation, I watched him: motionless, praying, patiently waiting.

For a moment, I was discouraged for him.

Then, I thought about every other week. Sometimes people respond to the invitation, but more often than not, he stands there the same as this week: motionless, praying, patiently waiting.

How does he do that?!

That's the question that was screaming at me as we drove home that afternoon. 

I get so discouraged sometimes. I've been discouraged because, despite a serious increase in effort lately, my blog readership seems weak and, sometimes, even in decline. I've been discouraged by the underwhelming show of enthusiasm for The Art Of Marriage event coming up, feeling like I'm trying to coax people into making marriage a priority - a cheerleader for a losing team.

Yet, there he stands each week, peace and joy in his countenance.

Of course, I had to send him an email to ask him. I just couldn't let it go. If we're going to go into ministry, I need the voice of experience to give me a little guidance, because I'm drowning in a pool, of hopeless, self-pity already...and we've only just begun.

His response?
Discouragement in ministry is oh so common. We ALL go through discouragement. And sorry to say, it is a shadow that will always follow you. I have to own that emotion and then tie a rope around it and pull it to the side. To deny I have those feelings is, I think unhealthy. But to let discouragement rule the day only creates lethargy. I am reminded that people are fickle and God is trustworthy. We are commanded to sew and it is God bring the harvest.
So relax. Keep both hands on the plow.
Um...a shadow that will follow me? Fantastic. However, I spoke with him a bit later, and he elucidated...and it changed everything.

He said that discouragement and ministry go hand-in-hand, but it has its uses because it keeps us constantly tied to God, relying on Him to be the encouragement we need. 

I could feel the light bulb blink on above my head.

We have to stay connected with Him all the time, keeping our pride out of the way, and relying on Him to do His will through us. Our meager efforts aren't meant to conquer armies and hardened hearts. It's only God working through us that can do those things.

I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

If we could do it all by ourselves, then we wouldn't need a Savior, would we? But we do...we really do. 

This extends far beyond those in "ministry," though. God often allows discouragement and despair in our lives so we will seek Him, relying on His strength.  

It can be a hard lesson to learn.

Recently, I had a teensy-weensy emotional breakdown...which translates to I was bawling like a baby and everything seemed hopeless and wrong. I did what I normally do in those moments: pray and then call my sister-in-law, Jamie, to talk me down. As always, it was worth the call.

She suggested that perhaps I was coming to the end of myself...the end of my talents, my strengths. God was pushing me to rely on His strength instead of my own.

And she was absolutely right.

God wants us tethered to His strength, instead of trying to operate on our own.

What are you trying to handle by yourself right now? What has you discouraged and hopeless? What situation or predicament are you trying to handle with your own strength, instead of placing it in the hands of our loving, almighty God?

Today is the day, my friends. Turn it over to Him, and if you're like me, pray about keeping it turned over because I have a tendency to try to take it back. Put your worries where they belong, and have faith that, indeed, all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28).

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand,
that he may lift you up in due time. 
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:6-8

7 comments:

  1. Loved this: "God often allows discouragement and despair in our lives so we will seek Him, relying on His strength." It's so true and something I need to be reminded of often. Thanks for linking up to Testimony Tuesday and for your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you! This post is one of my favorites! You're right...we need to pray that we don't try to take it back. That is such a temptation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, too! :) And thank you. It's a HUGE temptation for me to take back what I've put in His hands.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful encouragmeent here, Alissa. I'm reminded of how God wastes nothing. He will use it all to reveal His strength and glory. I too have been struggling with a decline in readers of my blog recently. I'm reminded daily to place it ALL in His hands and to trust Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! It's so funny how those little numbers can mean so much to us, huh? LOL But you're right...it's in HIS hands.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, how easy it is to get discouraged. I (kind of) eluded to that in my post today, as well. When I get discouraged I tend to give up. But that’s the point where God could actually do the most with me…if I can ever learn to let Him. Glad to find you through Three Word Wednesday. Beautiful place, beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete