Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Worshiping At the Altar of Religion

Recently, I was telling Destiny that I was praying for some young people we know who are in their first year of college this year because I know it can be a hard time for young adults spiritually. In fact, in one of his sermon series, Dr. David Jeremiah said that one of the darkest times for him (spiritually) was when he was in seminary.

Seems counter-intuitive doesn't it?

Our young friends are strong believers at a prominent Christian college; they should be good right?

Maybe...maybe not.

I've found from experience that you can be in the Word frequently without really being  IN the Word. Sometimes when you're reading the Bible for assignments, dissecting it, there can be a disconnect; it becomes intellectual instead of relational.  

I've been thinking about it since that conversation, and I've realized those young adults aren't the only the only ones in danger of an under-the-radar disconnect.  

How many of us are worshiping at the altar of religion?

Committees, co-ops, activities, events, Awana, VBS, Sunday morning, youth group...some of us practically live at church, but can all the time in church put us in danger of missing God?

I think sometimes we get so into our church activities that we are putting God on the back burner. We get so caught up in our religious busyness, surrounded constantly by other Christians, Bible verses, and Jesus talk that we miss Him...we miss out on a deep, meaningful relationship with our Savior.

We're so IN it that we miss it...we miss HIM.

"How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
    By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
    do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.
 Praise be to you, Lord;
    teach me your decrees.
 With my lips I recount
    all the laws that come from your mouth.
 I rejoice in following your statutes
    as one rejoices in great riches.
 I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.
 I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word."
Psalm 119:9-16

It is completely acceptable to work for the Kingdom. In fact, multiple times Jesus said we were to be servants, just as he came to serve (Mark 10:45 is one of them).

In his letter to the Ephesians, Paul told them to: 

"be filled with the spirit
speaking to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs,
singing and making music to the Lord in your heart,
giving thanks always for everything to God the Father
in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,
submitting to one another in the fear of Christ."
Ephesians 5:18b-21 (emphasis added)

It's a heart thing.

You might be in the church, but is church in your heart? You might sing praise and worship at church, but are you making music to him in your heart? Are you giving thanks always?  How about submitting to fellow Christians? (Oooooo...I said the word "submit." People often tend to overlook that word).

I suppose we could call this Martha Syndrome. We get so busy doing that we simply forget to stop, breathe, and worship at the feet of Jesus.

"'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered,
'you are worried and upset about many things,
but few things are needed - indeed, only one.
Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken from her.'"
Luke 10:41-42 (emphasis added)

I'm not suggesting you drop all the hats you wear at church or stop surrounding yourself with believers. I am, however, suggesting a constant heart-check, making sure you're not missing the forest for the trees (or the Jesus for the committees).

For me, I know I have a tendency to get caught up in busyness. I love to do things and join things and lead things, but when I'm not careful, I can let religious work get in the way of the Holy Spirit working in me.

What about you? Do you feel your church activities bring you closer to God all the time? Or do you find yourself lost in the busy?

Are you busy having Martha Syndrome or are you busy spending time at the feet of Jesus?



1 comment: