Monday, October 7, 2013

Cleaning House

I've been a bit discouraged by my domestic abilities lately...or um, NON-abilities. It seemed like I was doing pretty well before my school started, but once it did? WOW.

I can never quite get the house really clean...all at the same time at least.

I did clean the kitchen the other day - really cleaned it.  Please don't be alarmed.  The kitchen is cleaned every day...ish.  I mean, dishes are done, counters are wiped, and things like that, but there's clean and then there's clean

I cleaned cabinets and the refrigerator.  I cleaned out the microwave. I mopped the floor really, really well.  

I cleaned the dirt that lies beneath - the dirt beneath the dirt. As I was doing this, I thought about how it relates to our spiritual lives. 

Sometimes, we think we're cleaning our hearts, but we don't really clean the dirt beneath the dirt.

We all have "little" sins we commit that we try to clean out of our lives. We gossip, snap, gripe, and glut. Each day we try to wipe those sins away, but we only scratch the surface. We're never truly clean.

Why do we do those things? What causes us to speak poorly about someone? Why are we overly critical? Why do we get so angry so easily? Why do eat beyond what is necessary?

Because we're not cleaning the dirt beneath the dirt.

Do we speak poorly about others, or even think poorly of others, because we want to feel better about ourselves? PRIDE.

Do we snap at our children and spouses too readily because they're getting in the way of our way?SELFISHNESS.

Do we continue to eat because we're trying to fill a hole that we should be filling with God? IDOLATRY.

I don't know if the sins I've named are your sins. We're all different, and the same goes for our deep, down dirt...but we all have it.

Today, when you're reading this, think about the things you struggle with most, and try to determine if maybe there's a deeper reason you struggle with that sin. Is there something deeper you're holding on to?

I pray today you'll consider that question. We can never get the kitchen of our hearts truly clean; that's why we need a Savior. We are cleaned through His sacrifice.

 However, we still need to clean house as much as we can spiritually so we can have a decent place to commune with Him, right?

I know I still have a lot more cleaning to do...in my house and in my heart. Have you deep cleaned lately?


Linking up with Time Warp Wife for Titus Tuesday



3 comments:

  1. great post! add a scripture reference and it is a devotional :) save it for your book! :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good analogy! We will never scrub all the sin away, I'm so thankful God made a way in Jesus!

    Visiting from the Titus 2sdays linkup! Nice to "meet"you!

    ReplyDelete