Sunday, November 1, 2015

Marriage Renovations : Series Intro

Photo credit: mikeg1968 Etsy Shop
Have you ever seen the show Fixer Upper? We love that show.

I have actually considered moving to Plano, Texas just so Chip and Joanna Gaines can find us a FABULOUS deal on a beautiful, old Victorian, and I can walk in with that sucker painted, decorated, and amazing. Done deal.

However, in real life, it's never that simple. Once you choose a house and make that commitment, the investment doesn't just stop. Perpetual maintenance is necessary in order to keep the house in good condition: cleaning, yard work, painting. It's unending.

If you want to improve the property, then sometimes, you need to renovate - NOT for the faint of heart. 

Renovations are often dirty, tricky, difficult projects. The end result is beautiful, but most of the time you just want to give up in the middle. I can't wait for my new kitchen! becomes I don't really need plumbing, right? At some point, people lived without plumbing, with dirt floors. It'll be good for the kids to experience that. 

Nevertheless, if you trudge on and do the job right, the result is quite often breathtaking, completely worth the effort.

Recently, Josiah and I underwent a renovation stage in our marriage. It was dirty, I cried a lot, and most of the time, I just didn't understand the plan, but when it was over...MAN. I love our new "space." 

I am so indescribably grateful for the pain because the new wisdom and peace we have, about one another and just, in general, is priceless. 

Thus, in true Life Under Construction form, we've decided to take you step-by-step through our marriage renovation.

Yes, I said we

Josiah has very graciously volunteered to share his perspective of the renovations, as well because, as non-PC as it may be, men are different. They see differently. They feel differently. And that's okay. MORE than okay, actually; it's how God designed us.

So, over the next week, we will be bringing you a blog series on Marriage Renovations: how ours went down, what we learned, and some tips on navigating your own. Each phase (Demolition, Blueprints, and Rebuilding) will have TWO posts...one from me and one from Josiah.

Stay tuned!

2 comments: