Friday, June 29, 2012

Red Writing Hood Link Up

Earlier this week, Write on Edge (a blog I follow thanks to my lovely sister-in-law, Jamie), posted a one word writing prompt.  Basically, the idea is to take that one words and just write.  Whatever you want with that one word...within 450 words. 

So, for better or worse, here it is.  I thought it would be fun to share what I wrote and then give you the prompt!


I know what he did to you.  I heard you, saw you, felt your pain.  I saw the tears roll down your face in the moonlight, and their heat as I welcomed you into my embrace.  I tried to absorb you as you fell into me, letting you know I was there for you, willing to accept you.  I heard your cries to God, asking Him why He allowed the pain, begging Him to take it away.  You yelled at Him, cursed Him, begged Him.  He knows.  I know. 

We lay there together for a while once your soul was quiet, your tears spent.  I felt your caress, your fingers running over me and through me.  Finally, although it hurt me to do it, I pressed you away from me.  I was welcoming for as long as I could be, a soft cushion for your fall, but you need to move on.  Go back to reality.  I pushed against your skin and turned cold, making you feel the chill in the night.  You need to move on.  Accept life.  Keep living.  Keep going.

The wave of pain has broken.  It will continue to rise and fall against you until it finally ebbs and creeps back from view.  Other waves will roll in.  Hurt.  Joy.  Indecision.  Excitement.  At times, they'll roll softly, and at others, collide violently, creating something new entirely.  Accept each one, embrace it.  Each will change you, mold you, take a piece of you and leave something new behind. 

You’ll be back, and I’ll be waiting for you, eager to see the changes made upon your shore, just as you will be to see mine.  We’ll share, we’ll embrace, and then once again, we’ll part. 

You’ll come back, and I’ll be waiting.


Prompt: Sand

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie :) You're the one who sent me to the blog in the first place!! (I'm almost positive of that LOL)

      Delete
  2. This is raw and beautiful! This line I especially love- "You’ll be back, and I’ll be waiting for you, eager to see the changes made upon your shore, just as you will be to see mine. We’ll share, we’ll embrace, and then once again, we’ll part."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. That is a great last line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so much to love! I'm thrilled you participated. There is an ache with this piece that rings true. It's all the raw emotions I feel when I stand on the beach and look out to the water at night.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelton! I'm glad I participated, too...and I definitely plan on participating in more. :) It was a good exercise.

      Delete
  5. I love this! You took a totally different perspective which worked out wonderfully. The ocean/beach analogy throughout worked so well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete