Thursday, May 9, 2013

Preparing for Rain

Josiah is just gonna kill me one of these days...not literally, but ya know...get really mad.

I have a tendency to tell a lot of personal things on this blog.  I don't air dirty laundry, but I do get pretty real with what's going on in our lives sometimes.

Today...not any different.  It's story time, folks.

Once upon a time (last night), Alissa came home and found her husband distraught

*Don't worry, here ends the third person narrative*

I asked him what was wrong, and he said he had just been doing some heavy praying.  Ummm...I think that's totally awesome, but isn't really an answer to the question.  After a little more questioning from me I got my answer.  He looked at his direct deposit, and it was WAY lower than it had been previously...about $100 lower.  He looked at last week's deposit as well...and that was way lower, too.  It seems the deduction for my health insurance started and cut his take home pay significantly.  $400 per month is giant for us right now...a deal breaker for our budget.  Neither of us could remember exactly how much was supposed to be deducted per week, but we didn't think it was that much.  We have some in savings, but at this rate, it will be gone by the end of next month.

Both of us tried to make the other feel better.  Josiah said he was sure God is just making it blatantly obvious that we can't make it on our own...we need Him and whatever blessings He is about to provide.  I agreed, but told him not to worry.  No matter what we'll be fine.  I stopped working, but if I need to, I can always find another job.  Maybe I can work part time waitressing at night or something, right?  Or maybe I can even get another full-time desk job, and we'll just pay for childcare.

However, inside, I think we were both screaming "WHAAAAAAAAT?!?!"

We prayed so hard about me quitting work.  Seriously.  Remember all those blogs about that?  We waited patiently to make a decision on that until we really felt it was God's will.  I followed all the rules on seeking His will.  I prayed.  I read  His word.  I sought counsel.  I paid attention to the things believers in my life were saying.  

How could I have made this much of a mistake?  I'm normally a budgeting pro (not that I stick with it, but maaaaan, I can totally crunch some numbers).  Why didn't I see this coming?  Why didn't I know exactly how much we were going to be making WITH my insurance taken out.  Hello?  It's cash flow.  I'm majoring (partially) in Business and worked in an accounting office for almost 5 years, for crying out loud!!  Where are my spreadsheets and charts?!

First, I kind of forgot about Josiah's insurance amount changing when he added me.  He's been carrying the kids since the beginning of the year, but it changes from an employee + kids plan to a family plan when you add the spouse.  Once again, I am well versed in benefits.  I know this stuff.  Why didn't I think of it?

Because I took it for granted.

I took it for granted that if it was God's will, then it would work out.  Thus far, I've been absolutely correct.  Just as we were looking at how tight our budget was going to be a few weeks ago, Josiah got a call from his brother saying that he had too much work, and he asked if Josiah would be willing to learn his job so he can work part time for him.  Blessing!!

But now there's this.  I held my chin up for a little bit, but after a while, I started to slump.  I felt so stupid for quitting my job.  What if?  What if I had prepared better?  What if I had seen this coming and hadn't quit?  I was making pretty decent money!  Then there's the fact that poor Josiah is working two jobs to try to support my kids and I.  I went back to the "bad place," the place in my head and my heart where I just know Josiah would have been better off if he'd never met me...that we're a burden to him, and he would have been so much better off if he'd fallen in love with a girl with less...well, just less (except money, more money probably would have been good).  We were now both distraught.

In the end, it occurred to me that they started taking insurance out on May 1, but my coverage started on April 1.  Therefore, there's a very good possibility that they were doubling up on the deductions for me until that gets caught up. When we went online to look at his benefits info it and looked at the amount per year that should be deducted for a family plan, it looks like this is a very likely possibility.  We would have more solid information, but the benefits site is really quirky and shut down in the middle of our search.  It still makes our budget unbelievably tight, though.

It was time to pray...good, old fashioned, on-our-knees prayer.  Which we did...and will continue to do.  Josiah also decided he was going to fast for 24 hours.  I would have joined him, but that isn't wise while breastfeeding.  Ironically, however, every time I ate today I thought of him not eating and I prayed.  Is that vicarious fasting?  Normally, you're not supposed to announce that you're fasting (Matthew 6:16-18), but he didn't announce it to everyone, I am...and only because honestly, that would never have occurred to me.  I don't think of fasting, and I don't hear people talk about it much, but it's a strong partner to prayer in the Bible.  It wasn't required of the early Christians, but it's mentioned that they did it in quite a few places in Acts.

Josiah also noted that, no matter what, he was glad I wasn't at PMI anymore.  I hated my job.  The people were awesome (I still miss them!), but my job?  I had gotten to the point where I just couldn't stand my job, and honestly, I don't think I was really doing my best.  They deserve better than that.  He said I would have been crying and dreading going back from the minute Phinehas was born, and he was right.  I would have been miserable.  Tomorrow, Phinehas will be 6 weeks old, and I would be a depressed, crying, snotty mess thinking about going back to work on Monday morning.

Today I think I've developed even more perspective on the situation, and I'm amazed by how God works in every situation...how he indeed goes before us.  

First, we started to watch Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace University" DVD's again on Sunday, I just finished reading his book, and printed out the quickie budget for us to work on earlier in the day yesterday.  

Second, while normally the "nerd," the cruncher of all numbers, I think God kept me from doing that this time...because I wouldn't have quit my job.  I just wouldn't.  If the cold numbers had stared me in the face when I was trying to make this decision, I don't think I would have stepped out in faith.  

Third, I can't get the last couple scenes in "Facing the Giants" out of my head.  All I keep hearing is "What is impossible with God?" and the obvious answer is "absolutely nothing."  I'm also reminded of the scene where an elderly gentleman gives the struggling coach the following scenario:

Two farmers are in the midst of a drought.
Both farmers pray for rain, 
but only one goes out and prepares his fields to receive it.
Which one had more faith?

Josiah and I are praying for rain...we just need to prepare our fields to receive it.  Quitting my job to stay at home was part of that.  

Good Lord in Heaven, we are praying for your blessings.  We can't do this without you.  We know you've been telling us this is the way to go, so Lord, we have faith you will provide.  Lord you know we're willing to work hard on the other side of any door you open for us, and we're willing to work hard in the hallway while we wait for your open doors.  And like the father in Mark who needed his son to be healed, we say we do believe, help our unbelief.  We have faith, but we're praying for more...praying that the Holy Spirit will give us the peace that passes all understanding in Christ Jesus because we have presented our worries to You.  We praise your holy name!!!

So now it's public.  You all know we're broke and struggling, but you also know how God is moving our lives.  

I'll look forward to telling you all about the rain. :)

To be continued....






2 comments:

  1. Our Pastor just preached about fasting a few weeks ago, and it was the first time I had ever heard about it (I mean I heard about it, knew what it was) but it was my first time hearing a sermon on it. Our Sunday school class is doing 7 Spiritual Disciplines of a Christian (I butchered that title, but you get the gist, and I'm excited about that). I will be in prayer with you guys! I'm so proud of you both, and I'm really thankful for the man Josiah has become! God is glorified through both of you! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jamie! I love you too. :)

      I look forward to hearing more about what you learn in that sermon series. It's a difficult thing, going out on a limb and just trusting God when it doesn't seem to make any sense. We're still working on it! LOL

      Delete