Thursday, December 5, 2013

Am I Kind?

Last night in bed I was thinking about the Fruits of the Spirit, and I asked my husband, "Do you think I'm kind?"

I so totally set him up, right?

See, I LOVE words, but he's not a really wordy person, per se; so I have a tendency to try to help him have words.

The answer I wanted to hear would have gone something like this: "Of course, darling! You're the kindest person I've ever met besides Jesus himself!"

That's not what I heard.

Fortunately, my husband is a genius, and he figured out how to answer that question both gracefully and truthfully.

His reply was as follows:

"Generally, yes of course, I think you're very kind, but I also think that's the wrong question to ask. If we think to ourselves, 'I'm a kind person' then it implies that there's no room for improvement. Instead, however, I think the proper question to ask is 'Am I as good at giving grace as I ought to be?' That completely changes things doesn't it?"

Ho-ly cow. Do you see why I'm so in love with this man?!

That was such a brilliant answer and it touched my heart more than a quick, "yes, of course" could have.

Then, just this morning, I went to check a discussion board for a class group project, and once again, someone is late meeting a deadline...really late, and I found prideful, arrogance in the place where loving, grace should be.

In the way you judge, 
you will be judged
and by your standard of measure, 
it will be measured to you.
Matthew 7:2

So beyond that today, I have nothing but a prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you. Thank you for giving me a husband to be a spiritual leader for our home. Thank you for his wisdom and his love for You and for his family.

Forgive me, please, for my arrogance and unforgiving nature.

Please help me, Lord, to be a mirror of your grace in a sinful, unforgiving world, so that Your light will shine all the brighter. I know God that even if I succeed in this, it will not be by my own will, but through Your Spirit within me.

You are might and holy and loving, and I am so grateful every day that I am able to have a relationship with You through the sacrifice of Your only Son, Jesus Christ. It's in His name I pray, today. Amen.


Linking up today with:
Juana Mikels
Time Warp Wife
Simply Beth



No comments:

Post a Comment