Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Seeking the Light

I feel like God has some lessons in my life stuck on "replay."  More than likely, that's because I'm just not really getting it the first time!

Right now I'm working in a book called "Discovering Your Creativity" by the wonderful people from Women of Faith (I picked it up used from Moore Expressions for $1! Only the first couple pages were written on.) One of the questions last week asked you what you would do for a career if there were NO boundaries - if every job paid the same, no childcare considerations, etc. - the sky's the limit.

My responses?
  • Sing
  • Act
  • Dance 
  • Write
As I looked at my responses, I felt a familiar shame creep in....

"Wow, Alissa Shea, could you be any more, 'LOOK AT ME!!'? All your responses are so spotlight-seeking. You are such an attention whore!" (Yes, I called myself an attention whore...it's not a nice word, but it's truth...so there).

So, there I was...staring at the book in shame...wondering why everything I dreamed of being was showy...wondering why I couldn't be different.

But then...

I continued the study.  And the verse we had to look up was this:

"You are the light of the world. 
A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.
 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. 
Instead they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 
In the same way, let your light shine before others, 
that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16

Oh my dear, God. Why do I always question and put down your creation.

Once again, God showed me that He made me, He formed me in my mother's womb, not to be ashamed of who I am, but to use the gifts He gave me to glorify Him.

As long as I keep that in perspective, as long as I am not self-seeking but God seeking, then I am doing exactly what He made me to do.

God made Alissa.
  • He made her happy, and giggly.
  • He made her with a voice that sings and a heart that dances (her body loves to dance, too, but we're just not putting that on display).
  • He made her with a heart for words and a love for expressing them.
God made me, and he has a plan for me. Instead of wallowing in shame, I need to embrace that, and seek His will for my life and His glory.

Are you showy, too, or is your light different? Make no mistake, if you're an introvert, someone who hates the spotlight and does everything you can to stay out of it, this lesson still applies. 

YOU HAVE LIGHT. 

God created you exactly the way you are for a purpose, and he has good works prepared for you so you can walk in them (Eph. 2:10) and, in doing so, shine the light on Him.

I'd love to hear about your light? What would you do if you could do anything? What did God make you to do that makes your heart sing?

Whatever it is, I pray that you'll embrace it, and LET IT SHINE.


Linking up today with Time Warp Wife





No comments:

Post a Comment