Saturday, August 20, 2011

Adventures in Tubby Running...and Other Exploits

Today was a great day.  I started it by sleeping in unitl 8, and then I got up and dragged my behind to the White Oak Trail at Newport News Park.  I totally love that trail.  It was beautiful outside this morning.  The crickets were chirping, the sun was shining on the water, and as I walked on the bridge to warm up I felt each muscle in my body slowly waking up. 
The sun was behind a cloud here, but it was still gorgeous.

The plan was to do the 2.6 mile loop and then go a half mile further so I could get an accurate current 5k time.  Things did NOT go according to plan...

The c25k program (couch to 5 k) that Krystyn and I are following suggests alternating 60 second runs and 90 second walks for the first week.  We're starting that on Tuesday, but I thought I'd get a little head start and see what I could do.  I wanted to really push myself.  My first mile I did in just under 12.5 minutes.  That is freaking AMAZING for me...seriously.  I was huffing and puffing really hard, but whatever...I felt good.

The second mile started well, but gradually I felt myself slipping.  My 90 second walks started to become a little bit longer, but I kept running for at least 60 seconds.  By the end of the second mile I was calling myself VERY unkind names and I thought I was going to have to pull over and puke.  Inner dialogue:

Body: What do you think you're doing?  Fat girls don't just get up and run honey.
Brain:  Shut up and stop being a sissy.  You can do this.  You're GONNA do this whether you like it or not!
 Body:  This is stupid!  WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?!  I see the van.  We're stopping at the van right?  We can guestimate right?  This looks right about...2.4 miles to me.  That'll work right?
Brain:  No!!  We're going to AT LEAST do the 2.6 miles.  Now start doing that sad little forward motion bouncing we call jogging and stop being a wussy.  We can do this!

It really wasn't pretty.  I didn't go the whole 5k, but I finished the 2.6.  I did it in 37:23, which is14.4 seconds per best time so far.  I was totally ugly and red when I finished, and I think the people on the boat fishing were snickering a little at my blood red face and panting, but I am SO proud.  It also made me think, with a little bit of training, I can definitely do this!

Later I got to go out with my wonderful friend Raieco.  We were going to go yard saling, but we got a little sidetracked.  We stopped for Starbucks, and since Josiah's always bringing me stuff to the office, I decided I wanted to surprise him with something.  As it turns out, you can't forget to take a Venti Mocha Coconut Frappuccino off the dashboard before your friend pulls away from the window without coating her door and part of your butt in whipped cream and a little iced coffee. Huh...who knew?  Luckily, it was easy to clean up and we only lost a little of the whip...I just totally saved him a lot of calories. 

When we dropped the drink off, I was just going to get Josiah to come outside because popping in on his parents first thing in the morning really isn't nice.  Then I realized there was actually a crack in his cup and it needed to be transferred to a new cup...ASAP.  So Alissa drags her friend to the kitchen door trying to catch drips with her hand while apologizing to Josiah's mom profusely.  She totally didn't care.  How awesome is that?!  She just chatted with us and talked about antiques and we showed Raieco some of her auction finds.  It was just lovely.  Raieco needed to get back to give her grandmother medicine, but it was great to spend some time with her.

Next I picked up my girls and we sorted all the newly bought school supplies and stuffed backpacks.  Destiny said it was like Christmas!
I love that she loves school supplies like I do!

Em was a happy camper, too.
We cleaned up a little more, took a really short nap, and then I took the Destiny and her friend to play laser tag at Menchville Baptist.  Ryan is spending the night with his Pop-pop tonight, so I got to spend some quality time with Emily.  She and I went to the mall...and got her ears pierced!!
Look at my brave girl!

She was really brave and was all smiles when it was done.  So we got a special Nutter Butter Blizzards!
The earrings are hard to see, but they're little pink sparkly flowers.

Josiah met us in the parking lot so he could give me a quick hug before we went separate directions.  (We'll just skip the part where we had to walk back in because I left my keys in the food court.)  I picked the girls up from church and headed home.

I am so thankful for days like today.  Now I get to stop blogging and go start my schoolwork!!


No comments:

Post a Comment