Monday, July 16, 2012

Extreme Red

Red: the color of rage...and the color of love.

Josiah and I went to see a movie last night (Snow White and the Huntsman, which we really enjoyed btw).  One of the previews was for Katy Perry's movie(?) Part of Me.  It was pretty bold.  It stated in big letters that Katy Perry grew up Christian, showed a video of a young Katy holding up a "Jesus" sign, and then said something like "what if you had a song inside of you and you weren't allowed to sing it?"  This is paraphrased from the trailer, but it's pretty close. 

I was incensed.  I was angry.  How dare they?  That is a blatant attack on Christianity!  I can't believe they actually put that on there!!

I was indignant.  I was thinking (in the shower, of course) about the post I would write and how I would tear into this and the moral and social example she's setting.  I thought about how I would maybe even write a letter to her on the blog, knowing she would never see it, but sending out my message all the same.

But what if she did see it?  I'm sure she'll see tons of them because the way that was done was really rather offensive.  What will she think about that?

She'll probably think the same thing she obviously feels now...that Christianity is about rules and judgment.

Apparently, this girl has had some experiences with church and Christians that have soured her, so much so that she would make sure that was part of the trailer for her movie...part of her.

It saddened me.

I thought of how angry I'd been just a moment ago and how, often, as Christians, we let our feelings about what's right and wrong get in the way of what the Bible says is the most important thing...and it's not wrath.

 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
(1 Corinthians 13:1-3, 13)

Ouch.  That stings.

Centuries upon centuries of Christians have tried to use anger and power to push their position instead of love, and I just don't think that's what God wants.

Right then, I prayed for Katy.  Something happened in her life that took a young heart on fire for God and turned her against Him.  I prayed for her life and her heart.

 So, today's post is all about Red.  Wrath.  Anger.  Passion.  Love.  Red.

Done in conjunction with Bigger Picture Blogs: Color Me Creative.  Also linked to Time Warp Wife's Titus Tuesday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment